Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Out of Site, Out of Mind

I started planning to put my old house on the market in the winter of 2010.  I knew I wanted to do a FSBO and from all my HGTV watching I knew I needed to clear out closet and shelf space to make my house seem larger.  No problem.  I started packing things up.  And packing.  And packing.  I realized a couple of things:
1.  I have allot of "stuff"
2.  I needed a placed to store all the "stuff" while I put the house on the market

Scott allowed me to store the boxes in the garage.  I brought them over in batches, as I finished packing, and loaded them on a pallet he had assigned to the project.  The pile grew and grew until finally it looked like this.

Scott shrink wrapped everything and decided it would live on his storage shelves, at the very top.  He loaded it on the forklift.

And put the whole pallet at the very top of the storage shelves.  I think he had an ulterior "out of site, out of mind" plan.

The boxes stayed in storage until the summer of 2012.  Yes, I am ashamed.  I have that much stuff that I didn't even think about unpacking, and therefore, likely didn't need to begin with.  However-I was smart and didn't have Scott retrieve the pile until I had a garage sale planned.  I went through every box at the garage and was able to whittle the pile down to three boxes of things that eventually made their way back to the house.  I was pretty proud that I was able to cull down the load so drastically.  Granted-Scott did remind me a couple of times that I had lived without the stuff for almost a year and a half-how badly could I need it?












No comments:

Post a Comment